Date/Time: Friday, September 19, 2014 Location: Squirrel Cove, Cortez Island, BC Weather: Clear, calm, warm
Departing Forward Harbor
Tides, reversing rapids, and calculating boat speed and transition times has consumed us for the past two days. But this evening we are in Desolation Sound and most of the hard parts of our voyage are […]
Date/Time: Thursday, September 18, 2014 Location: Forward Harbor Weather: Overcast, wind 10 gusting to 15, rain showers
With wind warnings forecast in Johnstone Strait for late this afternoon, we elected to take an alternate route through Sunterland Channel, north of Hardwicke Island. Now we are anchored in Forward Harbor, a popular anchorage. The little bight […]
Date/Time: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 Location: Port Harvey Weather: Cool & cloudy with occasional light rain showers
Fog persisted in Port McNeill until after 1100 this morning, as forecast. We topped up with propane, and with coffee and treats at Mugz, the local coffee shop. When the sun started peeking through the fog we headed […]
Today we stayed in Port McNeill. By the time we were done provisioning, relaxing and calling relatives we decided that a “lay day” was in order. We did some needed maintenance and by mid-afternoon the fog was rolling in from the north again.
We like Port McNeill–last time we were here (eight years ago) we […]
Date/Time: Monday, September 15, 2014 Location: Port McNeill, northern Vancouver Island Weather: Foggy morning, sunny afternoon, northerly breeze
Crossing Queen Charlotte Strait
We expected the fog in Blunden Harbor this morning, so we slept in, did some chores aboard CAMAI and gave Elsie a couple of walks on the beach. We departed at noon […]
Date/Time: Saturday, September 13, 2014 Location: Fury Cove Weather: Clear, Calm, Warm
Today was easy, if a little long. We waited for the Shearwater Grocery Store to open (9 am) and then departed at 0940 hours. We ran the engine up to 2200 rpm and it stayed there until 1745 hours when we dropped […]
Date/Time: Friday, September 12, 2014 Location: Shearwater Resort near Bella Bella Weather: Mostly clear, warm, perfect
We set the alarm and woke up at 5:00 this morning, to take advantage of favorable tidal currents. After morning chores, I took Elsie for her morning walk in the dark.
Manually raising the anchor was a little easier […]
Date/Time: Thursday, September 11, 2014 Location: Rescue Bay, east end of Jackson Passage in Mathieson Channel Weather: High overcast, calm Plan: Shearwater tomorrow, weather permitting
Today was an easy day, except for the anchor windlass switch that decided to give up the ghost as we were retrieving the anchor from 90 feet. It’s been a […]
Date/Time:Wednesday, September 10, 2014 Location: Horsefly Cove Weather: Light winds, High overcast, Barometer falling slightly Plan: Hiekish Narrows, Finlayson Channel, Jackson Passage to Mathieson Channel
Coghlan is a good anchorage for a number of reasons–room, proper depth, good holding, etc. But it does get windy. The wind started building about midnight, so I double-checked the […]
Date/Time: Sunday, September 7, 2014 Location: Prince Rupert Rowing & Yacht Club Weather: Mostly Cloudy, calm Plan: Depart tomorrow, southbound to Grenville Channel area.
Today Prince Rupert lived up to its nickname. Our reasonably nice morning weather changed to steady drizzle and heavy fog with moderate breezes by mid-afternoon, as a weather front passed through […]